Monday, February 14, 2011

Slings

The other thing that is great for moms, especially nursing ones, but really any, would be a good sling. Now, Target sells some, but I'd recommend some other brands that I trust more. Target sold the Infantino sling that was recently recalled for safety issues (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10177.html)   I've had lots of experience with "Over the Shoulder Baby Holders." This is a padded ring-style sling. These were sold at the hospital where I delivered both girls. Of all the varieties of slings I've used, they've been the most useful and versatile.   The Over the Shoulder Baby Holder is no longer manufactured, but I found some comparable ones below.

 There are lots of good brands of babt slings. Any good baby boutique will have some good varieties. "Maya wrap" is a well known, trustworthy name. On Amazon, I see, "Light on the Shoulder" which looks very comparable to what I have (over the shoulder baby holder, now discontinued). The key thing I'd recommend is that it be a ring style wrap. Padded or unpadded. I've tended to use padded, but I've seen lots of women use and enjoy unpadded ones. These are the safest and most versatile. Here are a few links that might help:

http://www.amazon.com/Lite-on-Shoulder-lime-Baby-Sling/dp/B000MOKPTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296233419&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Maya-Wrap-Padded--Black/dp/B000JT0VTC/ref=sr_1_5?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1296233650&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dbaby-products&field-keywords=maya+wrap#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dbaby-products&field-keywords=ring+sling&rh=n%3A165796011%2Ck%3Aring+sling

I would not recommend any slings that look loose or pouchy. Here is an example: http://www.target.com/Karma-Baby-Organic-Cotton-Twill/dp/B001TEGPGO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=baby+sling&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-11&qid=1296233879&rh&searchRank=target104545&id=Karma+Baby+Organic+Cotton+Twill&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

They need to be adjustable to hold baby high up on the body, with head out, mostly. Not safe to be buried deep or loose in a low fitting sack.

Any ring sling would be a good buy. I'd stay away from some of the new fangled ones.

Moby Wraps, as I said, are nice early on. I used it a bunch with my second in the first couple of months.  The baby stays in very securely.  These are particularly nice when they're light and little & sleep a lot. You can really move around (or sit) easily with them snuggled in well. Here is a link from amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Moby-Wrap-Original-Carrier-Chocolate/dp/B000X4WORU/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1296234084&sr=1-1

But for ease of use, length of use, and the money spent, I do think the ring carriers are a better buy. Just my opinion though. Moby wraps are very 'popular' right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment