Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Top Ten Reasons for Breastfeeing

There are a lot of good reasons to breastfeed. Here is my top ten list of reasons why I love breastfeeding:
1.       Breastfeeding boosts a baby’s immune system with antibodies, from the mother, that will help fight illness.  Bottom line, breastfed babies will get sick less often, and when they do get sick, it will usually be for a shorter duration. This happens for as long as a child is breastfed. Less ear infections. Less stomach illnesses. Less hospitalizations for illnesses.
2.       When baby is sick, I know she’s getting the best source of hydration, nutrition, and ‘medicine’. When I have had sick babies at home, pretty much all they want to do is nurse and sleep. They can do both simultaneously, and this ensures they are well hydrated. They get my antibodies, which helps fight off the illness quicker. It helps comfort into sleep, which is what they need to get better. Breastmilk is digested quickly, so I know that some nutrients are getting ‘in’ even when diarrhea and vomiting are happening.
3.       Moms who breastfeed have a lower risk of breast and ovarian cancer. I have breast cancer in my family history. Both of my grandmothers died of the disease. I am so happy that breastfeeding my girls has helped lower my risk of getting this disease. The longer a mother nurses, the greater the preventative benefit to her.
4.       Babies who are breastfed are at lower risk of becoming obese or developing diabetes. I come from an overweight family. I have diabetes in my family history. Thankfully, both girls have been very ‘normal’ in their growth and development. And I know it helps them lower their risk of obesity down the road. Babies who nurse naturally follow their hunger cues better. They eat slower, allowing their bellies to tell them when they’re full. This, in turn, develops a lifelong habit of eating to fullness, not just ‘finishing a plate’.
5.       Breastfeeding provides lots of skin to skin contact between mom and baby, which helps bonding between mom and baby happen. It is a very natural way to become close to your baby.
6.       Breastfeeding is cheap. Outside of a few supplies that will be helpful along the way, like maybe a few nursing bras and/or a breast pump, you can breastfeed your baby without any other costs. Formula is expensive. And the way food programs are designed, particularly the WIC program, more real food (fresh fruits and vegetables, peanut butter, milk, cheese, and canned meat) is provided for breastfeeding moms and breastfed babies.
7.       Breastfeeding travels easy. You don’t have to pack bottles & formula. It’s all right there with you. Throw a diaper and some wipes in a small bag and you can go out with your baby for a long time. Bottle feeding requires lugging around much more stuff.
8.       Breastfed babies reportedly have higher IQ (intelligence) than formula fed babies. I know I could have used a few extra IQ points in school. I’m glad to be giving my girls the best boost I can in this area.
9.       You and baby can sleep while you’re nursing, especially in the early days after delivery. Baby will eat and sleep a lot in the first weeks of life. If you can be home with your baby during that time, it provides an excellent opportunity to rest and regain strength. Provided you can have some help from family & friends with other household tasks and sibling care, you can lay down and sleep with baby while s/he is nursing.  It feels wonderful to rest with baby. (But do look up safe ways to sleep with baby *here*.)
10.   Breast milk changes as the baby grows to help meet his/her nutritional needs. Even as baby transitions to solid food and cow’s milk, the smaller amount of breast milk contains higher concentrations of antibodies to prevent disease. The fat and nutrient content change as baby ages. No need to research different types of formula and read fine print, just nurse, it’s all in there!
Other Reputable Resources:

Spangler, Amy.  (2006). A Parent’s Guide to Breastfeeding.  Cincinnati, Ohio: Specialty Lithographing Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment